The Wigwam and Chapel Museums are both chock full of interesting artifacts relating to Amherst.
Museum Hours for 2022:
The Second Saturday of each month from May through October - 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
By Appointment - With advance notice, openings and group tours can be arranged from mid-May through mid-October. (The museums are unheated and therefore not opened year-round.) Please call Susan Fischer at (603) 582-7912 to arrange special openings.
Museum admission is free, although financial donations are always welcome.
Located on the corner of Middle and Cross Streets
Built in 1839 as a Methodist chapel, it earned its nickname, "The Wigwam," in 1879 when the Methodist Society remodeled the building and raised the roof. Inside you can see the ceiling painted by itinerate Italians that is reminiscent of designs seen in Italy.
After the Methodists left the building to join with the Milford Methodist Church, it passed through many hands and served a multitude of purposes - dance hall, basketball court and town garage, to name but a few. It was purchased by our Society in 1969 and underwent a significant restoration in 1976. Now home to some of our larger artifacts, like our restored Concord Coach and the old jailhouse door, we certainly think it's worth a visit!
Located on the corner of Middle and Church Streets
The Congregational Church built the Chapel (aka the Annex) in 1858 to hold their winter services, as the smaller building was much easier to heat. Sold first to the town in 1927, and then to the School District, it too has seen a variety of uses, most notably additional classroom space for a growing Brick School student population.
Today visitors will find a wide array of historical memorabilia relating to Amherst including maps, photos, scrapbooks, clothing and furniture. Plan to spend some time exploring its treasures!